Nothing quite beats comfort food, especially when it isn’t particularly warm outside (which in Britain is pretty much all year round!) To give an added kick to your meals, this chilli con carne is sure to do just that.
Originating from Mexico,home of the heat, my recipe features that fire burn but is still rather soothing to the soul. It is a wonderful accompaniment with rice, fresh bread, or wholegrain crackers. Though you can simply enjoy its wonders alone with some avocado or greek yoghurt swirled in!
- 500g lean mince beef
- 1-2 whole red onions
- 400g chopped tomatoes
- 400g mixed beans or kidney beans
- 3 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp onion granules
- 1 tbsp mixed herbs
- ground black pepper to taste
- Start by cooking the mince off in a large pan, over a medium heat, continually stirring throughout for 5-6 minutes.
- Once brown, drain off meat juices and return to heat
- Chop up onions and add to mince, stir in gently
- Next turn the heat to low, adding in the chopped tomatoes
- Drain and wash the beans, then add to pan.
- Next all herbs and spices, with garlic, stirring in until combined
- Finally add the tomato puree leaving to simmer for 20 minutes.
- Serve as desired!
This dish is ideal for cooking in batches and perfect to freeze for another day. It helps to prepare your lunch or dinner almost instantly in advance which is great for work commitments.
Please let me know if you give this recipe a go and remember to tag me on social media so I can see any of your posts!